With all the concerns over the coronavirus outbreak and how this might impact schools and your child’s learning, we wanted to offer you some ideas to help you continue their education during any potential school closures.
For learning and engaging content, there is a selection of teaching videos on SATs companion designed to help your child. Parents/Carers can also contact me directly via the website if you have any queries or concerns.
Ideas to support your Year 6 child:
- Please download ‘Daily Dose’ activities below for both Maths and English. Children can write notes and provide answers in their exercise books that have been provided. These activities will be updated weekly.
– A worked-through reminder of the learning involved, followed by practice sheets, usually with a choice of ‘Mild’ (easier) or ‘Hot’ (harder)
-An ‘If You’re Stuck’ sheet with an activity covering pre-requisite skills.
– Mastery questions so children can check that they’ve nailed it.
– A text for comprehension or writing stimulation. Questions and answers to go with this.
-Learning Reminders focussed on two or more SPaG topics
– SPaG exercises
– Fun-Time Extras – things children will want to do!
These activities will be updated weekly.
- Recap specific grammatical terminology. You can download the KS2 SPAG revision mat below to help with this.
- Practice spellings from the Y3/4 and Y/6 word lists and put them sentences. You can download the spelling rules for KS2 below.
- Read lots of different types of texts and discuss them. We encourage children to read for pleasure for at least 30 minutes a day. World Book Online have just made their fabulous collection of over 3,000 ebooks and audiobooks available for free for children to access at home. They have books suitable for all ages. Children can also access their ReadTheory accounts at home.
- We also encourage your child to use their Maths & Grammar CGP guides at home.
Children also have 6 pieces of project homework to complete. We would love to see what the children produce!
- Imagine that the council stopped collecting rubbish bins. Create a piece of artwork that reuses pieces of rubbish that you would throw out.
- Find five foods in the supermarket that have been imported from another country. List the foods in order of the distance they have travelled to get here.
- Can you find out how different materials are made? How is mental made? How is plastic made? How is fabric made? How is glass made?
- Make a word search of all the words connected with looking after the environment. Here are some ideas to start you off. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair, Renewable Energy and Environment.
- Make up a quiz with facts about why we recycle. Make sure you also have the answers. We may try it out in class!
- To create a sea creature out of reused plastic in your home.
Please rest assured that if we do return to school this year, we will make their final months/weeks as memorable as possible. We appreciate that this is a difficult and challenging time for all of us. We have thoroughly enjoyed teaching your children this year and we look forward to continuing to help and support them on their educational journey over the coming weeks, even from a remote distance!
Please do feel free to contact us both if you any questions or concerns and we will support you as best as possible.
Many thanks for your continued support. With best wishes and wishing you all well.
Mr Paton, Mrs Pierpoint
HOME LEARNING TASKS
WEEK ONE ENGLISH
WEEK TWO ENGLISH
WEEK ONE MATHS
WEEK TWO MATHS
Home learning week beginning 20.04.2020
Home learning week beginning 20.04.2020
Home learning week beginning 04.05.2020
Home learning week beginning 11.05.2020
Home learning week beginning 18.05.2020
Home learning week beginning 01.06.2020
Home learning week beginning 08.06.20
Home learning week beginning 15.06.20
Home learning week beginning 22.06.20
Home learning week beginning 29.06.20
Home learning week beginning 06.07.20
Home learning week beginning 13.07.20
Home learning week beginning 20.07.20